You will probably never hear someone say: “Yes! Grain-free summer salad!”
Well, this salad does not taste grain-free. It’s main ingredient is even deceiving. The ingredient I’m speaking of is buckwheat. Now wait a minute, I just said grain-free. Yes, that is correct. Buckwheat is grain-free. It is a plant that grows groats that sort of taste like a grain but it’s not a grain at all. And its (dare I say it) good for you!
If you like guacamole, you will LOVE this recipe.
Buckwheat Avocado Salad
1 cup water
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
1 small avocado, diced
5 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 lime, juiced
2 T. scallion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño pepper, diced
2 T. cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper
- Combine water and buckwheat in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover.
- Simmer until buckwheat is firm yet tender (al dente), about 8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Gently stir together avocado, tomatoes, lime juice, scallion, jalapeño, cilantro, salt and pepper, making sure it is evenly combined.
- Add buckwheat groats and stir gently.
- Chill and serve.